Longing to be mom and dad? Trying hard to become pregnant? Yes, it is obvious in many cases that conceiving becomes very tough and the enjoying motherhood seems to be an unfulfilled dream. Though infertility is a growing concern in modern age, still the chances of pregnancy remains at a much higher level compared to the infertility. So there is nothing to lose heart, but follow few basic rules that will aid in conception.
Unless there are no major physiological defects in the female reproductive organs like under functioning of the ovary, irregular menstrual cycles, obstruction in fallopian tubes or insufficient levels of sex hormones, the chances of becoming pregnant remain fair. Similarly low sperm counts, erectile dysfunction can be the reasons in men for not being able to impregnate the partner. These factors demand medical intervention. Otherwise by keeping a tab on the regular physiological functions and modifying them one can conceive quickly and easily.
Factors enhancing the chances of conception –
1. Fertility is the most important factor in conceiving. The chances of conception are maximized when the woman reaches the maximum fertility period of the month, which is generally four days before and after the menstruation.
2. Ovulation refers to the release of mature ovum from the ovary which is to be fertilized by the male sperm. This generally occurs in the middle of the menstrual cycle. Having sex during this period increases the chances of pregnancy. Ovulation date can be calculated by using the techniques like ovulation calculator, monitoring basal body temperature
3. Cervical mucous becomes thicker and the volume of the fluid increases with the approaching of fertility, making the uterus ready for the fertilization to take place.
4. Intercourse carried on with man on top increases the penetration and the chance of conception, so that the semen remains in the vagina for longer time. The hips should be kept in the raised position for 10 minutes after the intercourse to achieve fruitful result.
5. Intake of Vitamin C, E and folic acid increases the chances of getting pregnant. Vitamin C protects the sperms from getting damaged. Vitamin E increases the fertility both in men and women.
6. Quitting smoking is a must as smoking reduces the chances of pregnancy by 40%.
7. Maintaining a healthy bodyweight helps in conceiving, whereas being overweight or underweight negates the chances of conception.
Many couples waste few years after getting married postponing pregnancies in pursuit of lucrative career or due to financial constraints. But with the biological clock ticking away, age can pose a serious problem in conceiving. So it is always wise to act right in right time.